I
am not vain enough to think that I have a regular readership, but on the off
chance that there are repeat readers, I just wanted to explain the hiatus I
have taken from uploading new recipes - I have been blessed with motherhood and
both my husband (my film maker) and I have had our hands full, and though I
have been cooking heaps as I think home cooked meals are the best, I have not
had the chance to share my recipes.
However,
I am currently on an elimination diet as it is possible that my baby is
allergic to some protein that is being passed through my breast milk, and am
avoiding dairy, soy, eggs, gluten, fish, seafood, nuts, peanuts (top 8
allergens) along with corn, coconut, yeast, sesame seeds and artificial
preservatives. I have been on the elimination diet for about 10 weeks
now and meal planning has required some effort and got me thinking that while I
love cooking and can plan various allergen free meals, there may be many others
who are not so lucky or may just need some new ideas - so I am going to share
my recipes here and provide substitutes to common allergens and create a
dedicated allergen free section. Unfortunately, it will take me some time to
upload all my recipes and all recipes in this section will be sans the common
allergens, so in the meanwhile if you want specific allergen free recipes,
please leave a post and I will do my best to get back to you. Until then home
made risottos (use home made stock), lamb curry, chicken curry, lamb and turkey
based pies with mash potatoes as topping and salads and most vegetables,
lentils and legumes are good, nutritious options.
For now, since the festive season is around the corner, I want to share
my allergen free Christmas/ plum pudding. I tried making it on a whim and it
turned out pretty good so I gave it another go, unfortunately, I made it when
my husband was at work so there is no video, but I have uploaded a photograph
here.
You will need the following:
1 cup of chick pea flour - besan, it can be found in all Indian grocers
and the international section of many supermarkets. It is sometimes also called
gram flour. If not allergic to corn, you can also use gluten free
flour.
1 cup of dried mixed fruit - I have used a mixture of
currants, sultanas, dates and pear. You can also add mixed fruit peel. If
avoiding preservatives make sure they are sulphate or preservative free. If
unable to find preservative free, give the dried fruit a good wash.
10 prunes chopped
Zest and juice of 1 orange
2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon of ground dry ginger
3 heaped tablespoons of brown sugar
2 tablespoons of molasses (if unavailable, replace with 2 tablespoons of
brown sugar)
1 teaspoon of instant coffee (I have used decaf)
1/4 cup of cold pressed olive oil
1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Approximately quarter cup of water
Method
Place the mixed fruit in a bowl with the zest and juice of an orange and
leave to macerate for at least 2 hours. You can also choose to add some brandy
here.
Sift the besan flour and add baking soda, baking powder, brown sugar,
instant coffee, ginger and cinnamon and mix well. Add the chopped prunes
followed by the mixed fruit in orange juice along with the molasses (if using),
oil and water. Mix and pour into a greased pudding mould and steam for
about 45 minutes. Check the pudding is done by inserting a skewer in
the center.
Cool slightly and serve with fresh berries (or custard and ice cream if
not allergic) . Dusting of icing sugar looks great but contains corn flour -
make your own by grinding white caster sugar with potato starch. You can
also flambé with some brandy or cognac.
*The pudding will rise and then sink a little, so don't be alarmed
**For a richer moister pudding, increase the quantity of the mixed fruit
to 1.5 cups. If not allergic, you can also add nuts as they provide a good
texture contrast.
***I am sure you can bake this as well, but for some reason my oven is
not working so I have steamed it instead. If you do not have a
pudding mould, place the mixture in a heat proof container and place
within a large pot with boiling water coming up to the side of the container
with the pudding mixture. I put a trivet at the bottom so that the bottom of
the pudding container is not in direct contact with the bottom of the main
container. Cover the top with a tea towel to absorb extra moisture and stop it
from falling on the pudding.
Happy and safe holidays to all!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment