Tuesday, 19 February 2013

Pumpkin Halwa






Ingredients 
1 kilo pumpkin
3 tablespoons of sugar
Handful of pumpkin/ rockmelon seeds or nuts

I confess that I have a sweet tooth and since I have been on my allergen elimination diet, I have been conjuring up various unexpected sweet treats to keep my taste buds satisfied. But this one I can't really take credit for - I remember my Grandma used to make it and it is pretty yummy. I have tweaked the method to make it my own and more importantly to reduce the fat content.
You will need pumpkin, any variety will do. I cut the pumpkin in huge chunks and place it in a roasting pan, cover it with Al foil and place it in a preheated oven for 30 minutes. I do this as this saves me the trouble of peeling and cutting the pumpkin into small cubes. Once it is roasted, I use a spoon to scoop out the cooked flesh. However, it can also be cooked on the stovetop. Place the peeled and cubed pieces of pumpkin into a non stick pan and cook covered on low heat until the pumpkin softens.

Once the pumpkin in cooked  ( irrespective of the method you choose), t continue  to cook the pumpkin in a non stick pan uncovered and smash the pumpkin pieces with the back of a wooden spoon or spatula. Cook the pumpkin for 15 minutes until it is reduced and all the moisture has evaporated. Once, it comes together you can add the sugar. I use raw sugar and since the pumpkin is naturally sweet which is further enhanced by cooking and caramelising it, I only use about 2-3 tablespoons of sugar for 1 kilo of pumpkin, but feel free to adjust the sweetness  to your taste. Add pumpkin or rockmelon seeds or chopped nuts( if you are not allergic) - almonds, cashews or pistachios, all work well and provide a good textural contrast. Serve warm and enjoy a guilt free treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment